Re: pci_enable_msi() for everyone?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Jun 06 2005 - 19:21:17 EST

Greg KH wrote:
On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 07:08:33PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Greg KH wrote:

Why would it matter? The driver shouldn't care if the interrupts come
in via the standard interrupt way, or through MSI, right? And if it

It matters.

Not only the differences DaveM mentioned, but also simply that you may assume your interrupt is not shared with anyone else.

Ok, and again, how would the call, pci_in_msi_mode(struct pci_dev *dev)
not allow for the driver to determine this?

Let me see if I understand this correctly :)

A technology (MSI) allows one to more efficiently call interrupt handlers, with fewer bus reads... and you want to add a test to each interrupt handler -- a test which adds several bus reads to the hot path of every MSI driver?

We want to -decrease- the overhead involved with an interrupt, but pci_in_msi_mode() increases it.

Jeff