Re: [SATA] libata-dev queue updated

From: Mark Lord
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 07:34:48 EST

Brad Campbell wrote:
Greg Stark wrote:
Uh, this is 2.6.12-rc4 with the latest libata-dev patch from Garzik's web
site:

bash-3.00$ smartctl -data -a /dev/sda
Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)

That's weird. So, is your /dev/sda a (S)ATA drive?
I haven't tried it on 2.6.12-rc* (breaks VMware for me+ libata-dev),
but it does work fine for 2.6.11 + libata-dev on my PATA drive.

Maybe there's something screwy with true SATA drives and libata (doubtful)?

I also have "smartctl -data" working with SATA drives through the
qstor driver (the non-libata version) without any issues, so we know
the drives themselves are happy with it.

smartctl -d ata -a /dev/sda

Same thing as "-data". Either works.