Re: [SATA] libata-dev queue updated

From: Greg Stark
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 08:52:56 EST

Mark Lord <liml@xxxxxx> writes:

> Greg Stark wrote:
> > Uh, this is 2.6.12-rc4 with the latest libata-dev patch from Garzik's web
> > site:
> > bash-3.00$ smartctl -data -a /dev/sda
> > smartctl version 5.32 Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
> > Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
> > Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)
>
> Oh, wait a sec -- Jeff just posted that he's nuked the "read identity" ioctl(),
> so I suppose that has now broken smartmontools compatibility.

I think this libata-dev patch was prior to that announcement.

It's 2.6.11-bk6-libata-dev1.patch which I appear to have downloaded May 15th.
(Sorry I guess "latest" wasn't very precise)

> So Linux either goes without S.M.A.R.T. for SATA (again),
> or Jeff puts it back, or smartmontools gets upgraded Real Soon Now.

:(

What I really want to get working is actually hddtemp which uses SMART just to
get the temperature:

bash-3.00$ hddtemp /dev/hda
/dev/hda: MAXTOR 6L080J4: 50 C
bash-3.00$ hddtemp /dev/sda
/dev/sda: Maxtor 7Y250M0 YAR5: drive is sleeping
bash-3.00$ hddtemp /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb: Maxtor 6Y120M0 YAR5: drive is sleeping

The two M0 drives are SATA drives and they certainly are not sleeping. Come to
think of it that's awfully hot for the PATA drive. I think I'll put it to
sleep for a while.

--
greg