Re: Stable 2.6.x.y kernel series...

From: Nick Craig-Wood
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 12:00:40 EST

In linux.kernel, Frank Sorenson wrote:
> Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
> > The next hurdle for 2.6.11-stable is to make sure that everything that
> > went into it goes into 2.6.12. Is there a procedure for that?
>
> Other way around. In order to be accepted into -stable, it needs to
> already have been accepted into mainline. More information at
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/4827/54751

It doesn't actually say that on the above web page. I remember it
being discussed, but it isn't on that page (unless I've missed it of
course ;-)

It wouldn't always be appropriate either - a -stable patch might
disable something which has a huge security hole in, wheras that sort
of patch wouldn't get accepted in mainline.

--
Nick Craig-Wood <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick