Re: Linux v2.6.12-rc6

From: Paul Mackerras
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 21:09:39 EST

Linus Torvalds writes:

> The merge message that goes along with that shortlog entry is
>
> Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sat Jun 4 08:18:39 2005 -0700
>
> Automatic merge of 'misc-fixes' branch from
>
> rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6
>
> which is pretty readable in the long format, but causes the shortlog to
> pick up just the partial (largely uninteresing) first line.

This also affects gitk, which takes the first line of the commit
message as the headline. I could make gitk take the first paragraph
(i.e. until the first blank line) as the headline but even that
wouldn't help since you put a blank line between the "Automatic merge"
line and the actual URL. Could you leave out that blank line in
future, or do you have a better suggestion?

Paul.