Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.12-rc6-V0.7.48-00

From: K.R. Foley
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 11:38:48 EST

K.R. Foley wrote:

Ingo Molnar wrote:

i have released the -V0.7.48-00 Real-Time Preemption patch, which can be downloaded from the usual place:

http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/

this release includes an improved version of Daniel Walker's soft irq-flag (hardirq-disable removal) feature. It is an unconditional part
of the PREEMPT_RT preemption model - other preemption models should not
be affected that much (besides possible build issues). Non-x86 arches
wont build. Some regressions might happen, so take care..

Changes since -47-29:

- soft IRQ flag support (Daniel Walker)

- fix race in usbnet.c (Eugeny S. Mints)

- further improvements to the soft IRQ flag code

to build a -V0.7.48-00 tree, the following patches should to be applied:

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.11.tar.bz2
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/patch-2.6.12-rc6.bz2
http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/realtime-preempt-2.6.12-rc6-V0.7.48-00

Ingo

Ingo,

I can't get any version of RT-preempt applied to 2.6.12-rc6 up to and including 48-01 to boot on any of my SMP systems. I get no log because it dies right after the "Uncompressing kernel" message. 2.6.12-rc6 boots fine. I am attaching my config. Am I missing something obvious? I am building 48-01 with voluntary-preempt now to try that.

Just confirmed that CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY works OK. Building CONFIG_PREEMPT_DESKTOP=y now.

This too, works OK. Ideas?

--
kr