Re: stupid SATA questions

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 12:48:39 EST

Robert White wrote:

Since the title of the thread applies...

What command (or whatever) does one use to do things like set the power
controls on a libata-controlled SATA drive? hdparm doesn't seem to do
anything but complain when I try to use the various features.

You need "ATA passthru" (SMART support) in order for hdparm to work.

hdparm /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)

Does the "16-bit" mean anything or is it just a bogon?

This is hardcoded. I doubt you will ever be able to change this.

Jeff