Re: [RFC] SPI core

From: Lee Revell
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 10:42:32 EST

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 12:39 +0200, Hinko Kocevar wrote:
> I would also like to see SPI core in linux driver model, but nothing
> like I2C
> stuff. SPI is far to simple (and yet so diverse) that much more simple
> concept
> could be used.

Did you look at sound/i2c/i2c.c? ALSA has its own i2c implementation,
only 333 lines, due to the kernel i2c core being overly complex for
ALSA's needs.

"Although there is a standard i2c layer on Linux, ALSA has its own i2c
codes for some cards, because the soundcard needs only a simple
operation and the standard i2c API is too complicated for such a
purpose."

(from http://www.alsa-project.org/~iwai/writing-an-alsa-driver/x77.htm)

Personally, I would start with this, then add any needed functionality.

Lee