Re: Attempted summary of "RT patch acceptance" thread

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 18:14:13 EST

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 04:01:21PM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
> LynxOS runs on HP printers for real time guarantees all of the time and
> is good for general purpose usages as well. Folks use single image kernel
> for RT guarantees even before the existence RTAI and RT Linux. Your history
> is reversed here. People have been doing this for ages under a single image.

I don't care what folks did for ages, I care what I think is best to do
_now_ with linux, and I don't see why one should go with RTOS when much
simpler and more reliable and _more_performant_ solutions exists when
switching to linux, even for the printers.

> Hard RT is required in audio. It's require in processing DSP data coming
> from those cards. ioctl() paths are short and pretty much directly go to

Those are sort of problems where metal-hard may be simpler to deal with,
if there's a skip they'll record a second time, and you can just use
measurement and proabability there, without providing any guarantee.

Perhaps you can't handle valid criticism cause you have a conflict of
interest.