Re: Problem found: kaweth fails to work on 2.6.12-rc[456]

From: Oliver Neukum
Date: Sun Jun 12 2005 - 10:23:37 EST

Am Sonntag, 12. Juni 2005 15:05 schrieb Wakko Warner:
> Oliver Neukum wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 12. Juni 2005 02:41 schrieb Wakko Warner:
> > > After doing some testing, I believe a patch that went into rc4 broke kaweth.
> > > The kaweth driver itself did not change from rc2 through rc6.
> > >
> > > As a test, I reverted a patch that went into rc4 which modified
> > > net/core/link_watch.c. Once I compiled the kernel, my netgear EA101 works
> > > again.
> > >
> > > The above is not cut'n'paste. There was 1 other addition (an include) that
> > > I removed from the patch inorder to revert it. The patch above was applied
> > > to 2.6.12-rc6 using -Rp1. This is why I believe that kaweth is broken.
> > > With my limited understanding of the kernel, it would appear that kaweth
> > > doesn't support netif_carrier_ok properly.
> > > Anyway, I found what caused it to break, but at this point, I do not have
> > > the required knowledge to do a proper fix.
> >
> > static void int_callback(struct urb *u, struct pt_regs *regs)
> > is supposed to handle the link state. Maybe it fails in your case. Could you
> > add a printk to this callback to check linkstate?
>
> I don't believe my case is very specific. I've tested this on 4 different
> systems with totally different configs. If it is at all specific, I believe
> it would be with the network adapter itself. I don't have any other usb
> adapters that use kaweth.
>
> Can you tell me where I need to add the printks?

In static void int_callback(struct urb *u, struct pt_regs *regs):

/* we check the link state to report changes */
if (kaweth->linkstate != (act_state = ( kaweth->intbuffer[STATE_OFFSET] | STATE_MASK) >> STATE_SHIFT)) {
<------- HERE please a printk for detecting a link state change
if (!act_state)
netif_carrier_on(kaweth->net);
else
netif_carrier_off(kaweth->net);

kaweth->linkstate = act_state;
}

<----------- HERE the value of linkstate is important
resubmit:
kaweth_resubmit_int_urb(kaweth, GFP_ATOMIC);

Regards
Oliver