Re: 2.6: problem with module tainting the kernel

From: Carlos Martin
Date: Sun Jun 12 2005 - 10:33:46 EST

On 12/06/05, li nux <lnxluv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks to Randy and everyone who replied.
> Yes, I am using SuSE kernel.
> On building the module it successfully generates
> hello.ko.
> Here is the message I get on doing a insmod of
> hello.ko:
>
> "Jun 12 14:47:56 myhost kernel: hello: unsupported
> module, tainting kernel."
This means that the module is unsupported by SuSE/Novell and
therefore vendor-tainted. It does not mean that the kernel is tainted
in the canonical way. IIRC there are different types of tainting, and
this is just one of them.

--
Carlos Martín http://www.cmartin.tk http://rpgscript.berlios.de

Nowadays everyting has infrared and wireless. If it's big enough, it
gets Gigabit and a DVD burner.