Re: [RFC] blkstat

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 05:21:44 EST

Con Kolivas wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:02, Nick Piggin wrote:

The problem with that is that it does not give you a % idle
figure on the block device, so you basically can't see if
the device is becoming a bottleneck.

I've often wondered how iostat gives a %busy figure and whether this translated accurately without further info from the kernel.

Oh, it does havea "%util" in its extended stats. Sorry I missed
that so you might be right.

Hmm, so I guess it uses io_ticks and that does appear to give
the valid measure. I'll have a think about that - perhaps there
is still a place for the split read/write statistics I'm using...

Thanks,
Nick

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.