Re: 2.6.9 & 11 hang on ac/dc change with T43

From: Misha Nasledov
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 14:12:31 EST

I am having this same exact problem! I'm running 2.6.11.12 on my ThinkPad
T43 which I just got yesterday. I discovered last night then when I
change the power state in any way, it'll give these ATA abnormal status
0xD0 on port 0x1F7 errors.

So I began doing some sleuthing.. Bill said that this only happens with
APM, so I tried it without APM. First I booted with noapm, but I found
that my system was still trying to use the apm kernel module when apmd
started. So, I removed apm from the kernel and uninstalled apmd. An
interesting side effect that I noted here was that once apmd was
uninstalled it generated some sort of power-change event that triggered
this bug.

So I booted with a new kernel without any APM support and tried changing
the power state -- no luck. Same errors. Fortunately I haven't experienced
severe filesystem corruption quite yet, but I have a feeling that if I keep
experimenting long enough, it will be inevitable.

So this is a pretty grave bug. Everytime I want to unplug my laptop or plug
it back in, I have to shut it down first. I'm not sure what kernel version
this bug was introduced in -- I might try building 2.6.8 and see how that
works.

I believe that there are two more things I can try; Bill mentioned this
problem not happening in ACPI mode. I thought that by this he meant that
the problem disappeared in absence of APM, but perhaps this problem
might disappear in presence of ACPI. Well, I'll try this, but I'd prefer
to have working APM on this machine for suspend.

Maybe disabling the BIOS power-saving mechanisms and solely relying on
Linux kernel to handle CPU throttling and such might do it, but I have
my doubts.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone look into it? It seems that Bill
posted this a while ago and has received no reply on the list.

--
Misha Nasledov
misha@xxxxxxxxxxxx