Re: PNP parallel&serial ports: module reload fails (2.6.11)?

From: Adam Belay
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 14:45:21 EST

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 01:07:49AM +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:

> First of all, why disable the device on module unload?
> If it was enabled initially, before any module has been
> loaded, why it needs to be disabled, why not leave it
> enabled and all, just like it has been before?

The original idea here was to free up resources for allocation
to other devices. The ACPI spec claims we should call _DIS
when powering down the device to _D3. So, I'm considering not
disabling the device when the driver is unbound, especially with
PNPACPI. I need to think about it more.

Thanks,
Adam