SATA - SCSI Partition limit

From: John Duthie
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 17:22:03 EST

Problem:
Need to simulate CDs shares on a linux/samba File server... has a
120 GB SATA drive in there ...

( linux-2.6.10 )

long story ...
Shares had the wrong size for the evil VB program
(Tried mounting *.iso via loopbak - it didn't like it )
Windows boxes that work just have lots of 700 mb partitions ( 4
x extended with 6 or 7 logical in each )
SO i thought "I know I'll just make lots of partitions" oops ,
SCSI sub system only allows 15 Drives
So now I could "Boot 2.6.11ac7 on it and specify the boot option
"all-generic-ide" " which worked wonders last time i had a problem
(Thanks Alan) because ide will allow more than 15 partitions.
But the machine is now about 500 km away from me and changing a
linux system to boot from scsi to ide over ssh is not my idea of fun,
1 typo and I've got a long drive ahead :-(,
are there any hard reasions for the 15 partition limit on scsi (
other than lots of dev files )

how much work would a patch to halve the number of /dev/sd? files
and double the /dev/sd?[12]? files ( same number of devices
minor/major ) ?

I'm sure this will be a problem more people have as the SATA drives
get bigger.......

TIA