Re: RT : nvidia driver and perhaps others

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 07:41:56 EST

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:21:45 +0200, Serge Noiraud said:

> I try to compile the nvidia driver for my RT kernel.
> It does not work anymore.

You aren't going to get much sympathy here on that one...:)

> Isn't there a better way to avoid these modifications ?
> for example to have the external fonction the same than non RT kernel.
> and have an internal link to the new one or something like that ?

However, he *does* have a point here - GPL'ed out-of-tree drivers will
have these same issues. Yes, I know the standard "get them into the tree"
refrain here...

> These drivers are proprietary, so I can't modify them.

Fortunately, NVidia supplies enough pieces to make things work..

> I think we should change :
>
> 1 - local_irq_* to raw_local_irq_* : is it always true ?

> 2 - spin_* to raw_spin_* ?

Ingo et al - what *is* the recommended magic to make a driver compile and
work cleanly with or without RT? Hopefully there's a simple "will work correctly,
but possibly sub-optimal latency" cookbook scheme....

> and other in two files ... too many modifications.

The C preprocessor is your friend - we *should* be able to make a change in one .h
like '#ifdef SOME_RT_FLAG .. #else ... #endif' to do most of the work...