Re: A Great Idea (tm) about reimplementing NLS.

From: Patrick McFarland
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 20:48:19 EST

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 07:34 pm, Lukasz Stelmach wrote:
> That's why UTF-8 is suggested. UTF-8 has been developed to "fool" the
> software that need not to be aware of unicodeness of the text it manages
> to handle it without any hickups *and* to store in the text information
> about multibyte characters.What characters exactly you do mean? NULL?
> There is no NULL byte in any UTF-8 string except the one which
> terminates it.

Bingo. Only the operating system itself and software displaying filenames
needs to understand Unicode; the file system implementation itself just knows
its a string of bytes and nothing else.

> I've tried cd packet writing with UDF and it gives insane overhead of
> about 20%. What metadata you'd like to store for example on your
> flashdrive or a floppy disk?

Uh, 20%? That sounds awfully high. You sure you didn't do something wrong?

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || pmcfarland@xxxxxxxxxxxx