Re: A Great Idea (tm) about reimplementing NLS.

From: Alexey Zaytsev
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 05:16:07 EST

On 16/06/05, Patrick McFarland <pmcfarland@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Now I quite agree that it isn't a Great Idea to do such conversion in
> > the kernel, but the problem still remains and there is no other place
> > we can do it. I belive that it should be done now and removed after
> > the world finishes to move to utf. Maybe it should not be applyed to
> > the main kernel tree, but I'm sure that at least Russian linux
> > distributions will like it.
>
> I partially agree. I think no userland application should have access to the
> un-'fixed' file names; they should be fed only Unicode to prevent the spread
> and acceptance of out of date encodings.
>
> Forcing users to do smart things is often the only way to make them do smart
> things, and the lack of acceptance of Unicode on Linux in the wild seems to
> be the only way.

I'm not going to force anybody to do anything. There is a nubmer of
reasons to use unicode, but if somebody finds them not convincing, he
is free to use any other encoding. If somebody uses koi8-r as his
primary encoding and wants to mount a cp1251 or unicode-encoded file
system, he is free to do it, although he should be ready to loose some
characters.