Re: [Ext2-devel] Re: [RFD] FS behavior (I/O failure) in kernel summit

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 06:49:45 EST

Hans Reiser wrote:

What users need is for a window to pop up saying "the usb drive is
turned off" or "we are getting checksum errors from XXX, this may
indicate hardware problems that require your attention".

Nice. And the way to do this right is to have the kernel merely
log the error as usual. The user can have some daemon listening
to the log, this program may then pop up error messages with
nifty detailed explanations, start up diagnostic software
for various subsystems and so on.

The kernel can't do GUI stuff - a GUI may or may not be present,
and the kernel cannot know. The server may not run X at all
but I still run graphical SW on it using a workstation or X-terminal.
Or the pc may have three video cards, each running a different xserver
with different users for each. Who to report to?

An error-reporting daemon have an easier job, it can look up the
correct (possibly remote) display in its config file for all those
cases when there isn't just _one_ display.

Helge Hafting