Re: SCHED_RR/SCHED_FIFO and kernel threads?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 10:50:38 EST

Patrik Hägglund wrote:

Kernel threads seems to generally be scheduled in the SCHED_OTHER class (with the 'migration' thread as an exception).

This is on purpose. The idea is that realtime processes get all the time they request. If the kernel threads are interrupting the realtime app, then the latency of the realtime app is degraded.

As I see it, "kernel activity" shall not be starved by user-space processes. Therefore, I was very suprised by this behaviour when I saw it in 2.6.11.

If you want specific kernel threads to take priority, you can always manually make then SCHED_RR/SCHED_FIFO yourself.

Chris