Re: Porting kref to a 2.4 kernel (2.4.20 or greater)

From: Hareesh Nagarajan
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 11:46:44 EST

Dipankar Sarma wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 03:47:51PM -0700, Hareesh Nagarajan wrote:

Correction:
(Appears with a *)

Greg KH wrote:

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:20:04AM -0700, Hareesh Nagarajan wrote:

What stumbling blocks do you think I would encounter if I wanted to port kref to a 2.4.xx kernel? Is kref tightly coupled with the kernel object infrastructure found in the 2.6.xx kernel?

Have you looked at the kref code to see if there is any such coupling?

Can you describe any problems you are having doing the uncoupling?

I'm having problems porting the KObject* and Work Queue infrastructure to the 2.4 kernel. Any ideas if anyone has tried this port?

(Correction: * => I meant KThread)

There were a number of backports of 2.6 workqueue stuff without
kthread (before they were introduced for cpu hotplug) floating
around in mailing list. You can probably google for them.

I will do that!

Aren't they sufficient or does google want to do CPU hotplug ? :)

I was thinking of porting the RelayFS patches (from 2.6.11-mm2) to the 2.4 kernel. RelayFS seems to use the work queue infrastructure.

And AFAIK, Google doesn't seem to be too interested in hotplugging :)

Thanks Dipankar!

Hareesh