Re: A Great Idea (tm) about reimplementing NLS.

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 07:57:23 EST

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 09:18:06PM -0400, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> On Thursday 16 June 2005 11:04 am, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > Most people seem happy with 50 or so being a good limit even though many
> > systems support much longer.
>
> 50 characters or 50 bytes? Because in the case of UTF-8, if you do a lot of
> three byte characters (which require four bites to encode), 50 bytes is very
> short.

I would think most languages that need 2 or 3 bytes per character would
need a lot less characters, although I think I can think of a few cases
where that isn't true.

Well how about making it '50 characters seems plenty for most people to
be happy'. If you can handle a couple hundred bytes that should be ok,
and I think most filesystems can.

Len Sorensen