Re: [patch 2.6.12-rc3] dell_rbu: Resubmitting patch for new Dell BIOS update driver

From: Greg KH
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 10:30:46 EST

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 09:55:31AM -0500, Abhay_Salunke@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 12:59:46PM -0500, Abhay Salunke wrote:
> > > +static struct device rbu_device_mono;
> > > +static struct device rbu_device_packet;
> > > +static struct device rbu_device_cancel;
> >
> > You should never create a struct device on the stack. Lots of bad
> > things can happen (including not having a release function for them.)
> >
> they are not declared inside any function; can they be on stack?

Sorry, I didn't mean "on the stack" I ment, they are static and not
dynamically allocated.

> > Why not just point to the cpu device, or some other platform or system
> > device?
> >
> Not sure what these devices are for and didn't want to mess with them.

Ok, then I suggest you look into them then :)

Again, creating a struct device that is not dynamically allocated is not
allowed. And creating a struct device that is not tied into the driver
tree, is also a bad thing. Use the ones that are already present, or
register yours with the core so they show up properly.

thanks,

greg k-h