Re: [2.6.12rc4] PROBLEM: "drive appears confused" and "irq 18: nobody cared!"

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 12:18:20 EST

On 6/17/05, Alexander Fieroch <fieroch@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> >>Jun 17 12:07:49 orclex kernel: hdb: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears confused (ireason = 0x01)
> >>Jun 17 12:07:49 orclex kernel: irq 18: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option.
> >
> > Something failed to clear IRQ 18, that typically means there are IRQ
> > routing problems rather than IDE ones and would explain your traces.
> >
> > Try booting with acpi=off and see what trace you get then.
>
> acpi=off makes linux hang and not continuing booting. Hm, syslog does
> not contain the trace until that crash but the last lines before the
> hanging are:
>
> ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: USB 2.0 initialized, EHCI 1.00, driver 10 Dec 2004
> hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
>

> I've tried booting the kernel with parameter irqpoll as you have
> suggested but it leads to a kernel panic.
> The last line was:
>
> kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
>
> It's not saved in syslog too, so is there any way to get the trace to a
> file?

serial console & netconsole - see Documentation/serial-console.txt and
Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt

And there's also the kernel "console on line printer" option if you
want the messages printed on a printer instead. You also have the
option of writing the text down by hand with pen & paper (using a fb
console with lots of lines help keep many messages visible for this) -
some people also use a digital camera to take a photo of the screen.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>