Re: 2.6.12 udev hangs at boot

From: Andrew Haninger
Date: Sun Jun 19 2005 - 10:06:15 EST

Thanks for pointing this out.

I also have a Slackware 10 machine here on which I was trying to get
2.6.12 working. I was noticing odd things changing when I switched
between the default (2.4.26) kernel and 2.6.12. 'less' wouldn't work,
my /dev/sd* devices weren't there so I couldn't mount my external hard
disk or cdrom drive, and there was that hang at boot time.

I've since downloaded a new udev and installed it and all above
problems are resolved. I did have to do a 'pkgremove udev", though, to
get the /dev/ devices back. (Except that I did it through pkgtool so
'udev' might not be the right name to give to pkgremove.)

I had even checked the Documentation/Changes file to see if Slackware
10 came with some outdated package, and udev wasn't mentioned. I'm not
sure where else I should have looked for information like that,
though.

Anyway, just a heads-up to anyone else experiencing a breaking of
'less' and missing /dev files.

-Andy