Re: 2.6.12 udev hangs at boot

From: Denis Vlasenko
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 05:07:15 EST

On Saturday 18 June 2005 20:06, Nick Warne wrote:
> On Saturday 18 June 2005 17:53, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Nick Warne wrote:
> > > New 2.6.12 build hangs at initialising udev dynamic device directory on
> > > boot.
> >
> > Did you try simply waiting a while?
> >
> > udev took a long time to initialize (30-40 seconds) for me, then
> > everything worked and the machine booted just fine.
> >
> > I've seen this on both new and old udev. Some patience will fix things :)
>
> Yes, I waited a while first time. No drive activity, no nothing. Keyboard
> was still awake though, so it wasn't a 'crash' as such. The boot just stopped
> there twiddling it's thumbs...
>
> Installing the latest udev though makes the machine boot so fast I can't see
> the 'initialising udev devices' message unless I scroll back to see in
> console. I thought at first I broke it, and udev wasn't working at all now
> and was being ignored, but it is working just fine :-)
>
> But remember, what got me was it boots fine on 2.6.11.12, insomuch I never
> really saw the udev message away and never had to investigate it before.

udev-030 is looking for detached_state somewhere inside /sys tree,
but somewhere between 2.6.12-rc3 and -rc5 detached_state is gone.

I installed udev-058 and it fixed things.

It took me more than hour to figure out, from 02:00 to after 03:00.

Greg, any plans to distribute udev and hotplug within kernel tarballs
so that people do not need to track such changes continuously?

After all, udev is tied to /sys layout which changes with kernel
and also udev is vital for properly functioning boot process
(I mean: if udev breaks, you cannot easily debug it: your box
is unusable since lots of things gone avry like gettys not having ttys
to let you log in...).
--
vda