Re: 2.6.12 udev hangs at boot

From: David Lang
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 14:50:42 EST

I ran into the same issue last week on fedora core 3 so it's not _just_ a slackware problem.

David Lang

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:32:30 +0100
From: Nick Warne <nick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 2.6.12 udev hangs at boot

On Monday 20 June 2005 20:21, Greg KH wrote:

It appears the issue people are seeing is with Slack 10, which shipped
with udev 0.26 - and I presume there was 'custom' rules Patrick had built
in.

Ick. Hm, there's not been any updates for slack since then? (note,
there was no 0.26 release, there are no '.' in udev releases.)

Any Slackware users want to pester them for updates?

Remember this is Slackware 10 here I am talking about - Slackware 10.1 has
been released since, that uses as stock udev 50. Slackware current uses udev
54. Trouble is here also, GLIBC has been updated in latest Slackware[s], so
there is no real upgrade path for Slack 10 users other than the whole
caboodle - which breaks a lot if you have all the latest 'other stuff' built
from source anyway.

I guess many users don't upgrade all the system like I do to find these
problems. This appears to be just a gotcha for old Slackware 10 users like
me. Sometimes you read stuff about doing an upgrade, and unless it pokes yer
eye out with a big stick you miss it... so it is isn't a big deal as long as
people know about it - it's an easy fix.

Nick
--
"When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, Give a whistle..."