Re: -mm -> 2.6.13 merge status

From: Martin Hicks
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 09:16:24 EST

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:54:58PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> vm-early-zone-reclaim
>
> Needs some convincing benchmark numbers to back it up. Otherwise OK.

The only benchmarks I have for this were included in my last mail to
linux-mm:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-mm&m=111763597218177&w=2

Are they convincing? Well, the patch doesn't seem to make the memory
thrashing case much worse ("make -j" kernbench run) which is a good
thing since the VM is trying to reclaim much earlier.

In the same e-mail I mention that there is a fairly good performance
gain in the optimal case, where processes are tied to a single node and
the node's memory is filled with page cache. With zone reclaim turned
on the "make -j8" kernel build runs in 700 seconds; 735 seconds with
no reclaim.

mh

--
Martin Hicks Wild Open Source Inc.