Re: [RFC] new 7-segments char translation API

From: Henk
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 16:40:34 EST

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 09:19:42AM -0700, randy_dunlap wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:26:08 +0200 Henk wrote:
>
> | On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 12:53:29AM +0200, Edgar Toernig wrote:
> | > By your reasoning /usr/dict/words had to be in the kernel,
> | > too.
> |
> | Well by my reasoning you should, if possible, define some usefull
> | standards that will allow te reuse of these dictionaries within other
> | applications.
> |
> | And while we're on the subject of whats IN or OUT, (and I'll bet if you
> | ask 10 kernel developers you'll get 10 answers but I try anyway ;)
> |
> | In my philosophy the OS (kernel + device drivers) is an abstraction of
> | the machine, it should present the 'machine' in such a way that allows
> | for other abstractions such as a word processor to operate without having
> | to know the specifics of hardware devices.
>
> The abstraction also includes libraries, and if lib7segment
> could do this from userspace, that's where it should reside.
> I'm not saying that it can, but if it can, then that's the
> desired place for it.

Sorry for the late response,

The patch that was at the beginning of this thread is just a standard,
and just enough so a userspace program would never have to know anything
about 7 segments. And its just enough a device driver that needs to know
about this can implement it in a way that is portable and standardised.

I would, with all the love of the world create an userspace lib7segment for
you guys, but all I can think of is just this linux include file.

Well I think that the real issue here is that many of the kernel
developers feel that there´s to much fluff & features in the kernel
already.

>From an operational perspective I imagine its becomming harder and harder
to manage kernel code so I can understand people when they are
saying f**k off with 7-segments Ive got bigger fish to fry.

No offense taken, I just hope I didnt offend anyone either.

Ill be back,)

Henk Vergonet