Re: PREEMPT_RT vs I-PIPE: the numbers, part 2

From: Kristian Benoit
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 12:32:47 EST

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 09:27 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:31:39AM -0400, Karim Yaghmour wrote:
> >
> > Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > > Probably just my not fully understanding I-PIPE (to say nothing of
> > > not fully understanding your test setup!), but I would have expected
> > > I-PIPE to be able to get somewhere in the handfuls of microseconds of
> > > interrupt latency. Looks like it prevents Linux from ever disabling
> > > real interrupts -- my first guess after reading your email was that
> > > Linux was disabling real interrupts and keeping I-PIPE from getting
> > > there in time.
> >
> > Have a look at the announcement just made by Kristian about the LRTBF.
> > There's a tarball with all the code for the drivers, scripts and
> > configs we used.
>
> I see that now, cool!!! And thank you and Kristian for putting this
> together!

You're welcome. Thanks to Karim and Opersys that showed me the
path !! :)

> [...]
> >
> > +----------+
> > | HOST |
> > +----------+
> > |

> > | Ethernet LAN
> > |
> > / \
> > / \
> > / \
> > / \
> > / \
> > / \
> > / \
> > +--------+ SERIAL +--------+
> > | LOGGER |----------| TARGET |
> > +--------+ +--------+
> >
> > The logger sends an interrupt to the target every 1ms. Here's the
> > path travelled by this interrupt (L for logger, T for target):
> >
> > 1- L:adeos-registered handler is called at timer interrupt
> > 2- L:record TSC for transmission
> > 3- L:write out to parallel port
> > 4- T:ipipe-registered handler called to receive interrupt
> > 5- T:write out to parallel port
> > 6- L:adeos-registered handler called to receive interrupt
> > 7- L:record TSC for receipt
> >
> > The response times obtained include all that goes on from 2 to
> > 7, including all hardware-related delays. The target's true
> > response time is from 3.5 to 5.5 (the .5 being the actual
> > time it takes for the signal to reache the pins on the actual
> > physical parallel port outside the computer.)
> >
> > The time from 2 to 3.5 includes the execution time for a few
> > instructions (record TSC value to RAM and outb()) and the delay
> > for the hardware to put the value out on the parallel port.
> >
> > The time from 5.5 to 7 includes an additional copy of adeos'
> > interrupt response time. IOW, in all cases, we're at least
> > recording adeos' interrupt response time at least once. Like
> > we explained in our first posting (and as backed up by the
> > data found in both postings) the adeos-to-adeos setup shows
> > that this delay is bound. In fact, we can safely assume that
> > 2*max_ipipe_delay ~= 55us and that 2*average_ipipe_delay
> > ~= 14us. And therefore:
> >
> > max_ipipe_delay = 27.5us
> > average_ipipe_delay = 7us
> > max_preempt_delay = 55us - max_ipipe_delay = 27.5us
> > average_preempt_delay = 14 us - average_ipipe_delay = 7us
> >
> > Presumably the 7us above should fit the "handful" you refer
> > to. At least I hope.
>
> I have big hands, so 7us could indeed qualify as a "handful".
>
> Any insights as to what leads to the larger maximum delay? Some guesses
> include worst-case cache-miss patterns and interrupt disabling that I
> missed in my quick scan of the patch.
>
> If I understand your analysis correctly (hah!!!), your breakdown
> of the maximum delay assumes that the maximum delays for the logger
> and the target are correlated. What causes this correlation?
> My (probably hopelessly naive) assumption would be that there would
> be no such correlation. In absence of correlation, one might
> approximate the maximum ipipe delay by subtracting the -average-
> ipipe delay from the maximum preemption delay, for 55us - 7us = 48us.
> Is this the case, or am I missing something here?

Your analysis is correct, but with 600,000 samples, it is possible that
we got 2 peeks (perhaps not maximum), one on the logger and one on the
target. So in my point of view, the maximum value is probably somewhere
between 55us / 2 and 55us - 7us. And probably closer to 55us / 2.

> Of course, in the case of the -average- preemption measurements, dividing
> by two to get the average ipipe delay makes perfect sense.
>
> Whatever the answer to my maximum-delay question, the same breakdown of
> the raw latency figures would apply to the CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT case, right?
>
> Thanx, Paul

Kristian