Re: Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 21:03:13 EST

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> With BK, tags came with each pull. With git, you have to go "outside
> the system" (rsync) just get the new tags.

You don't have to use rsync, and you don't have to go outside the system.
That was my point: you can use "git-ssh-pull" to pull the tags.

But yes, you have to explicitly ask for them by name, ie the other side
has to let you know: "Oh, btw, I created a 'xyz' tag for you". And having
another helper script to hide the details of how git-*-pull handles tags
is obviously also a good idea, although it's pretty low on my list of
things to worry about.

Linus