Re: PREEMPT_RT vs I-PIPE: the numbers, part 2

From: Karim Yaghmour
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 21:07:43 EST

David Lang wrote:
> what pinout do I need to connect the printer ports

For LRTBF you'll find the pinout in the README of the package.

> I'm thinking that the best approach for this would be to setup a static
> logger and host and then one (or more) target machines, then we can setup
> a small website on the host that will allow Ingo (and others) to submit
> kernels for testing, queue those kernels and then run the tests on each
> one in turn (and if it runs out of kernels to test it re-tests the last
> one with a longer run)

Things is you're going to need one logger per target. As for a
small website, that sounds good enough. Don't know how feasible
it would be but it may be desirable to also have a background
task that automatically checks for new releases and conducts
the tests automatically.

> how much needs to change in userspace between the various tests? I would
> assume that between the plain, preempt, and RT kernels no userspace
> changes are needed, what about the other options?

There are no user-space changes needed, but you may need to
install a few things that aren't there (LMbench, LTP, hackbench,
etc.)

> given the slow speed of these systems it would seem to make more sense to
> have a full kernel downloaded to them rather then having the local box
> compile it.

It's your choice really, but if the tests are to be automated,
then local compile shouldn't be a problem since you won't be
waiting on it personally.

> does this sound reasonable?

For me at least.

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits