Re: Problem compiling 2.6.12

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 05:16:44 EST

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 10:53:47PM +0100, Nick Warne wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 June 2005 22:30, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > That last line looks wrong... I think you may have symlinks linking to
> > > other older kernel header stuff.
> >
> > No, it looks correct.
> >
> > That's the copy of linux/errno.h shipped with glibc and that's correct
> > when using HOSTCC.
>
> Is it? I thought kernel didn't care what Glibc or what kernel headers you had
> (that is system requirement) - it is automous. Isn't HOSTCC explicitly just
> what compiler you have?

CC is the compiler to actually compile the kernel for the target
platform.

HOSTCC is the compiler to build helper programs for kernel compilation.

The helper programs HOSTCC compiles aren't part of the kernel, they are
ordinary userspace programs that could have as well been written in
Perl.

> Nick

cu
Adrian