Re: Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers

From: Horst von Brand
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 09:33:43 EST

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > rsync -r --ignore-existing repo/refs/tags/ .git/refs/tags/
> >
> > See? What's your complaint with just doing that?
>
> No complaint with that operation. The complaint is that it's an
> additional operation. Re-read what Greg said:
>
> > Is there some reason why git doesn't pull the
> > tags in properly when doing a merge? Chris and I just hit this when I
> > pulled his 2.6.12.1 tree and and was wondering where the tag went.
>
> Multiple users -- not just me -- would prefer that git-pull-script
> pulled the tags, too.
>
> Suggested solution: add '--tags' to git-pull-script
> (git-fetch-script?), which calls
> rsync -r --ignore-existing repo/refs/tags/ .git/refs/tags/

I don't think either is really a solution. IMHO there should be a
distinction between "official tags" (that get passed around together with
everything else) and "private tags" for everybodys own home use (that could
be passed around, but only explicitly). Plus the possibility to erase,
move, &c private tags, and perhaps upgrade them to official status (thus
setting them in stone).