Re: [RFC] SPI core -- revisited

From: Russell King
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 11:46:59 EST

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:50:26AM -0400, Jamey Hicks wrote:
> dmitry pervushin wrote:
> >we finally decided to rework the SPI core and now it its ready for your comments..
> >Here we have several boards equipped with SPI bus, and use this spi core with these boards;
> >Drivers for them are available by request (...and if community approve this patch)
>
> I'm glad to see that work is progressing on SPI core. I've worked on
> drivers on both ARM linux and Blackfin uclinux that use SPI and would
> prefer that they not be platform specific.

I worry about SPI at the moment because I can't see how it's being used
from just this code.

The worry I have is that it appears to contain an algorithm layer. Would
this be better as a library for drivers to use, or something like that?

The reason I bring up this point is that my L3 layer is over-complex
for what it does (despite being about 378 lines) because it tried far
too hard to look like the I2C layer - soo much so I'm not happy with
it for mainline.

(I also have some concerns with the amount of NULL pointer checking in
the SPI code...)

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core