Re: [git patch] urgent e1000 fix

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 18:13:16 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:

It's probably the whitespace thing that Linus's git-apply gadget was complaining about.

I'm terribly surprising, though, since my patch(1) applied the diff just fine.

I could easily make git-apply accept empty lines as if they had a single space on it. What I find surprising is that "patch" allows that kind of whitespace corruption by default, and silently. Usually you have to give it the "-l" flag to make it ignore whitespace differences..

patch(1) is a huge collection of heuristics like this, even without '-l', so I'm not surprised that it worked.

Does git-apply support patches with "fuzz", out of curiosity?

Jeff