Re: -mm -> 2.6.13 merge status (fuse)

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Thu Jun 23 2005 - 18:38:18 EST

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 07:48:50PM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> > On the other hand, sometimes a root process, or some other user's
> > process, might _want_ to give permission to allow a trusted FUSE
> > filesystem the potential to monkey with it (return potentially
> > untrusted information, or stop it entirely), in exchange for access to
> > the filesystem. So it would be nice if there was some way that a
> > process could tell the kernel that it is willing to give permission to
> > allow certain FUSE filesystems to potentially affect it. Say, via a
> > fnctl() call, perhaps.
>
> Hmm. 'su' works for root.

?? Not sure what you're saying.

> How do you think fcntl() could be used? I think a task flag settable
> via prctl() would be more appropriate.

The problem with a task flag is that a root process might not want to
give permission for _all_ user-mountable filesystem, but only certain
ones. So the idea is that the process should be able to specify
specific mountpoints as being "ok" for the process to access.

- Ted