Re: Novell Linux Kernel Debugger (NLKD)

From: jmerkey
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 03:18:11 EST

Jan Beulich wrote:

1. No back trace

You're the second one to mention this, and I wonder where you take this from.

Check the version binaries on NovellForge. Didn't work. Suse Linux perhaps?

2. Doesn't run standalone fully embeded in the kernel

What do you mean with 'fully embedded'? As long as the agents aren't compiled as modules, everything's right in the kernel (of course, not the mainline one, but that's same as for kdb and kgdb).

Right.

3. Not fully open source (since it's not embeded in the kernel)

What has embedding things in the kernel to do with being open source?

Debuggers need to be open source to work on Linux (socially work, not technically). They also need to use kdb
and gdb as a base, so you can have one patch that runs on all the kdb versions for the kernels. Then you can use kdb
and let it do all the interfacing beneath you and leverage KDB and the porting effort there. Hook kdb() and traps.c
for events to userspace.

5. No advanced recursive descent parser for conditional breakpoints

Where've you seen this? What functionality does the parser miss?

Your architecture is event based, but there's no source code to change this, just a white paper. How do I know a conditional
breakpoint is running real time when it triggers. No source code, no interest.... Social Problem.

There is ****NO**** commerical debugger business on Linux. I don't agree that the GPL contaminates most
kernel modules, but a kernel debugger is one exception, because it has to include key kernel header files and truly is
an "integrated" component (at least a decent one is).

If you want to promote an interesting project and make no money off of it, open source your debugger, put it on KDB
as a base, and lots of folks will use it. We tried the whole kernel debugger product thing, and there are actual legal
issues if you choose not to open source it. File Systems, drivers, etc. -- not the case. Kernel debugger is the case.

:-)

Jeff

Jan