Re: [ANNOUNCE] ndevfs - a "nano" devfs

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 12:19:38 EST

Greg KH wrote:
> Now I just know I'm going to regret this somehow...
>
> Anyway, here's yet-another-ramfs-based filesystem, ndevfs. It's a very
> tiny:
> $ size fs/ndevfs/inode.o
> text data bss dec hex filename
> 1571 200 8 1779 6f3 fs/ndevfs/inode.o
> replacement for devfs for those embedded users who just can't live
> without the damm thing. It doesn't allow subdirectories, and only uses
> LSB compliant names. But it works, and should be enough for people to
> use, if they just can't wean themselves off of the idea of an in-kernel
> fs to provide device nodes.

Well. Maybe directories really are of no use, but mknod/symlink/unlink
*are* useful. That same mdadm who needs to create /dev/mdX *before*
that device is created? And socket for /dev/log...

And oh, directories.. devpts? Stuff like cciss/... represented in sysfs
like cciss!... ?

I don't see anything wrong with allowing creating/removing files in
the filesystem (except of possible locking issues which can arise) --
in-kernel support just does mknod/unlink on insert/remove, and if
that fails (EEXIST/ENOENT), well, so be it...

And since the whole namespace is now flat, another question comes in:
is there any guarantee the names will not overlap? /dev/ttyS0 and
/dev/usb/ttyS0 (I don't remember which one it was, but I *think* I
saw same names but in different dirs in /dev...)

/mjt