Re: [RFC] Fix SMP brokenness for PF_FREEZE and make freezing usablefor other purposes

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 23:33:26 EST

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > I only know that this boots correctly since I have no system that can do
> > suspend. But Ray needs an effective means of process suspension for
> > his process migration patches.
>
> Any i386 or x86-64 machine can do suspend... It should be easy to get
> some notebook... [What kind of hardware are you working on normally?]

Umm... Sorry to be so negative but that has never worked for me on lots of
laptops. Usually something with ACPI or some driver I guess... After
awhile I gave up trying.

> > But is this the correct way to fix this?
> It includes whitespace changes and most of patch is nice cleanup that
> should probably go in separately. (Hint hint :-).

Ok.

> Previous code had important property: try_to_freeze was optimized away
> in !CONFIG_PM case. Please keep that.

Obviously that will not work if we use try_to_freeze for
non-power-management purposes. The code from kernel/power/process.c may
have to be merged into some other kernel file. kernel/sched.c?