IDE probing IDE_MAX_HWIFS

From: Nick Warne
Date: Sat Jun 25 2005 - 06:12:13 EST

Hello everybody,

I am investigating the IDE probing at boot (i386), and wanted to find an easy
way to pass the 'noprobe' command line to all the (non-existant) IDE
interfaces at once(ish) rather than having 'ide2=noprobe ide3=noprobe
ide4=noprobe...'

Now I have traced the code, I see that HWIFS is 6 or 10
include/asm-i386/ide.h:

#ifndef MAX_HWIFS
# ifdef CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI
#define MAX_HWIFS 10
# else
#define MAX_HWIFS 6
# endif
#endif

Looking at the Kconfig, I see APLHA & SUPERH do get an option to change this
to suit
drivers/ide/Kconfig

config IDE_MAX_HWIFS
int "Max IDE interfaces"
depends on ALPHA || SUPERH
default 4
help
This is the maximum number of IDE hardware interfaces that will
be supported by the driver. Make sure it is at least as high as
the number of IDE interfaces in your system.

Now my question :-) Is there a specific reason why this isn't included in
other architectures? I am asking as I guess one hell of a lot of people
running on i386 have only two IDE interfaces anyway, and it could do with
defining it as 2...

Thanks,

Nick
--