Re: reiser4 plugins

From: David Masover
Date: Sat Jun 25 2005 - 21:48:20 EST

Hubert Chan wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:31:37 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx said:
>
> [...]
>

>>Meanwhile, PGP was designed to be used in an environment where you
>>could do this: "Today's secret plans are AES256 encrypted. The key is
>>the next key in your one-time-pad book, XOR'ed with your 128-bit
>>secret key - do it in your head". (And yes, you can easily memorize a
>>16-digit hex number and learn to do an XOR with another 16-digit
>>number, if failing to do so means you could end up dead).

[...]

> [1] I have no idea what kind of interface the crypto plugin in Reiser4
> will have. I'm assuming that there will be some commands for adding and
> removing keys from the plugin. If such commands don't exist, then we
> have a seriously broken system.

If we do meta-files as was originally intended, the command will be a
shell script could look something like this:

#!/bin/bash
read -sp 'passphrase: ' key
echo "$key" > "$0"/.../plugins/cryptocompress/key

The syntax of that echo command may change, but this is what we like
about metas -- less namespace fragmentation, less random interfaces.

>>Two words: "phishing e-mail".

[...]

> I'd rather have people encrypting all their stuff and still be
> vulnerable to phishing but secure from someone stealing their computer
> and fetching all their personal data, than having people not encrypt
> their stuff and have all their personal data harvested when they lose
> their computers and still be vulnerable to phishing.

Thank you, I was just about to say that.

There's a quote about this. Someone once asked Mohammed, "Should we tie
up the horses or trust in Allah?" Mohammed said, "Trust in Allah.
...But, tie up the horses."

> P.S. Is the custom on the linux-kernel list really to Cc: everyone and
> their dog? I'm seeing a lot of long Cc: lists here...

It seems to be the custom of any list to just hit "reply-to-all". That
way, even if someone posted a reply after reading the archives or from a
forwarded mail, or even if they unsubscribe from the list, or even if
someone simply opened up their client and started a thread by mailing
linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx directly, or if someone just randomly adds
someone who might be interested to the CC list directly -- no matter
what, someone who's posted on a topic will see replies to that post
until the topic dies.

Of course, this isn't true of all lists. Some lists munge headers,
meaning that either "reply" or "reply-to-all" goes to the same place,
meaning no automatic CC's. I don't like that, because then it's harder
to take something off-list, and easier to accidently send something
supposedly private to the entire list.

If you take something off-list when you don't mean to, you can just
re-send it, but if you put something on-list when it was supposed to be
private, there isn't much you can do...

Of course, there's the annoying side-effect that if you are subscribed
to the list, you'll get lots of dupes, but so what? Bandwidth is cheap.