Re: 2.6.12 breaks 8139cp

From: Ed Sweetman
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 08:32:26 EST

Pierre Ossman wrote:

Ed Sweetman wrote:

2.6.11-mm4 doesn't work. So i'm guessing 2.6.11 wont work either which
may be why backporting it's via fixes didn't do anything. I'm gonna
try vanilla and if that by some crazy chance works, then it'll be
fairly easy to see what change did it since mm has a nice Changelog.

2.6.11 works fine here so if you're having problems with it I'd say
we're experiencing two different bugs.

Rgds
Pierre

It seems that whatever is causing the bug i'm seeing was a change that involved the network driver/interrupt subsystem and not actually the 8139too driver, this was done at around 2.6.3-2.6.4. A NAPI patch that was introduced at that time basically reverted the interrupt function and removed the poll functions from the driver (via not enabling napi in Kconfig). I have patched 2.6.12.1 with the NAPI patch and it works. Now i just have a problem with messages about "Badness in __kfree_skb at net/core/skbuff.c:290" coming from the changes i made in the 8139too driver flooding my logs. (very bad but also helpful)

That narrows it down, but i was unable to clean up the kfree errors.