Re: reiser4 plugins

From: David Masover
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 23:53:27 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:37:48 CDT, David Masover said:
>

>>>Go read http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s7-7 and ponder until enlightenment arrives.
>>
>>So what? I don't intend to convince anyone based on how much
>>slower/faster their kernel compiles. It's meant to illustrate the
>>principle of the thing.
>

> No, you seemed convinced that you'd have a big win based on the fact that
> big chunks don't get unpacked - when in fact it's not as much of a win as
> you might think.

Not in this case.

> And at least in the real world, performance *does* matter - if doing it the
> traditional way is 3 times faster, nobody's going to be interested.

Not true. I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/spotlight/

Users *are* willing to trade speed for features, under the right
circumstances. Tiger *is* noticeably slower. People *do* make
webservers out of it anyway.

Or, for an extreme example:

http://www.doom3.com/

Doom 3 can be made to run on much older hardware (the Voodoo3, I think),
by disabling things like the dynamic lighting. The old way of doing
lighting is probably more than 3 times faster, I know it's more than
twice as fast. The new way looks much, much better, and many people
upgraded their hardware -- at least a couple hundred dollars upgrade,
sometimes an entirely new box -- in order to play this game.

For that matter, the old way of doing this kind of discussion is email,
the new way seems to be a PHP Wiki, which has got to be more of a load
on the server, but people use it anyway.

In the real world, killer features trump performance.

All of this is irrelevent. The performance isn't that bad. It may even
be better, even if it's not *much* better.

>>Besides, your point was that you could not run make inside of a kernel
>>tarball/zipfile. Nobody ever suggested that you would actually want to.
>

> "Here's a new facility. Don't bother trying to actually use it".

Not the facility. The specific example.

> Is that the message you're trying to send?

I'm lacking a little imagination right now. It's Sunday night, after all.

Actually, I think it might be a big win for Debian-like package
management systems. That's also somewhere in the "Silent Semantic"
archives.

Here's another, somewhat better example: modifying a zisofs CD image.
I'm going to go reply to your other mail now; I think the details belong
there.