Re: Problems with Firewire and -mm kernels (was: Re: 2.6.12-mm2)

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 18:48:02 EST

(Added linux1394-devel)

Rogério Brito <rbrito@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Andrew.
>
> I am experiencing problems with -mm kernels and my firewire HD. I can use
> it without any problems with Linus's 2.6.12, but I had problems with both
> -mm1 and -mm2 (I just compiled -mm2 to see if the problem would go away,
> but it didn't).
>
> I am using the same .config file for all compiles, except that I wanted to
> use the -mm tree for some things that I think would be orthogonal to the
> issue (like using FUSE, for example).
>
> I can't provide more details now, but as soon as I go to work with the
> machine that presented the problem, I can give you all the details.
>
> Essentially, what happens with -mm kernels that don't happen with Linus's
> kernel is that the sbp2 module gets loaded, but it seems that the subsystem
> never gets to actually see the partitions of the HD (I am using a HFS+
> formatted disk for transfers of data between Linux and MacOS X).
>
> If others also have the problem, I would like to know about it.
>
> The Firewire controller that I am using is a vanilla VIA card and the HD is
> a Seagate PATA HD in a Firewire enclosure (it's a ADS Tech DLX-185, if I am
> not mistaken).
>
> As I said, I can provide further details if wanted/needed.

Could you please generate the dmesg output from 2.6.12 and 2.6.12-mm2 and,
if there are any relevant-looking differences, send them?

Also, try:

wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.12/2.6.12-mm2/broken-out/gregkh-pci-pci-collect-host-bridge-resources-02.patch

patch -R -p1 < gregkh-pci-pci-collect-host-bridge-resources-02.patch

Thanks.