Re: [patch 2] mm: speculative get_page

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 20:44:58 EST

William Lee Irwin III wrote:

SetPageFreeing is only done in shrink_list(), so other pages in the
buddy bitmaps and/or pagecache pages freed by other methods may not

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:03:00AM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:

It is also done by remove_exclusive_swap_page, although that hunk
leaked into a later patch (#5), sorry.
Other methods (eg truncate) don't seem to have an atomicity guarantee
anyway - ie. it is valid to pick up a reference on a page that is
just about to get truncated. PageFreeing is only used when some code
is making an assumption about the number of users of the page.

tmpfs

Well it switches between page and swap cache, but it seems to just
use the normal pagecache / swapcache functions for that. It could be
that I've got a big hole somewhere, but so far I don't think you've
pointed oen out.

William Lee Irwin III wrote:

be found by this. There's also likely trouble with higher-order pages.