Re: reiser4 plugins

From: Hubert Chan
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 15:02:25 EST

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:32:56 -0500, David Masover <ninja@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> Hubert Chan wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:01:12 -0400, Kyle Moffett
>> <mrmacman_g4@xxxxxxx> said:

>>> I don't deny them the right to add other interfaces later, but such
>>> should be a secondary or tertiary patch, after the rest of the stuff
>>> is in. In any case, if we were to provide an interface by which one
>>> could $EDITOR the POSIX ACLs, it should be done in the VFS where all
>>> filesystems can share it.

>> I don't know if VFS is the right place for it, but I agree that it
>> would be good to make it accessible to all filesystems.

Sorry, "accessible to all filesystems" is incorrect terminology (it's
backwards). What I meant was something more like "able to access
extended data from all filesystems". But I think everyone understands
what I meant.

> You put it in /meta, which is available to all filesystems.

>> Looking forward to the flamewar that happens when Namesys decides
>> that file-as-dir is ready to be turned on again. ;-)

> Namesys still hasn't commented directly on the /meta proposal, have
> they? That would avoid the flamewar altogether.

Well, we could still have a flamewar about whether metafs is useful,
what type of functionality it should provide, etc. I'm sure we could
find something to argue about. ;-)

>From a purely philosophical/aesthetic/theoretical point of view, I like
file-as-dir much better than anything else, and would be ecstatic it if
Namesys was able to make it work. From a practical/technical point of
view, metafs may be an acceptable compromise.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@xxxxxxxxx> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA