Re: reiser4 plugins

From: David Masover
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 15:29:02 EST

Kyle Moffett wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2005, at 22:21:35, Hubert Chan wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:27:26 -0500, David Masover
>> <ninja@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>> The most obvious (at least obvious for me) complaint about this is that
>> the attributes are separate from the file. (In other words, it's a bit
>> ugly. ;-) ) So if you want to backup a file, along with all its
>> (extended) attributes (or substreams, or ... etc. ...), you need to
>> backup the file, and find the appropriate /attr/fs/$DEV_NUM/$INODE_NUM
>> and back that up. If I want to edit an attribute, I need to find
>> $DEV_NUM and $INODE_NUM (which I have no idea how to do), rather than
>> just "edit foo/.../extended_attribute". (Or using your "getattrpath"
>> command, it would be a two-step process -- run getattrpath, then run
>> editor -- rather than a one-step process. Of course, this is only
>> mildly annoying.)
>

> These are not really "attributes" so much as they are "metadata", for
> example, a "contents" subdirectory, if one existed, would be based on
> the original file, and therefore non-unique, but would be looked up
> based on information about the original file.

If you say so. I like the name "meta" because it looks cooler and is
easier to type, but I could live with "attr".

>> It also exposes a difference between attributes and regular files.
>> e.g. can I add attributes to an attribute? (say, I have a thumbnail
>> attribute for the file ~/foo, and I want to add a mime-type attribute to
>> that thumbnail attribute.) If you want to allow it, you have to be
>> careful not to run into a big loop generating an infinite number of
>> inodes in the attrfs. (e.g.
>> /attr/fs/$(getattrpath /attr/fs/$(getattrpath ~/foo)/thumbnail)/ mimetype
>> -- attrfs shouldn't generate the inode for that until
>> /attr/fs/$(getattrpath~/foo)/thumbnail is accessed, and maybe not even
>> then...)
>

> Agreed. I discuss this more below
>
>> That said, I prefer that interface over xattr or openat.
>

> Absolutely. On the other hand, that's not to say it can't be improved.

>>> Still pretty annoying, but maybe a good idea, especially if the shell
>>> gets extended to support it. Not sure I like using inode numbers,
>>> though -- I like the idea of being able to symlink to stuff inside the
>>> meta-file dir.
>>>

>> The advantage of using inodes rather than pathnames is that it is robust
>> with respect to file renaming/moving. It also allows things like
>> adding attributes to symlinks (since the inode number for a symlink is
>> different from the inode number for the file that it points to).
>>
>> You can still symlink. It just takes a little more effort to figure out
>> what $DEV_NUM/$INODE_NUM to use.
>

> Also, unlike a symlink, if the path doesn't change and the file does, it
> will break, also, if the file is removed and another created elsewhere, it
> will be redirected improperly. Perhaps a new symlink syntax is needed to
> allow attribute specification (Ick, more changes :-\).

There are symlinks, and there are hardlinks. When I want a link to a
file which doesn't change even if the file is moved, I use a hardlink.
When I want a link to a particular location, even if the file there is
deleted and then replaced, or if the file is not likely to move anytime
soon, I use a symlink.

Besides, can't we have it automagically figure out what the fs is once
we give it the device number?

I propose we should be able to have:

/meta/$DEV_NUM/$INODE_NUM
/meta/vfs/path/to/file

That way, I can symlink to whichever is appropriate.

>>> Hans, thoughts? Seems to be namespace fragmentation, but seems
>>> usable, less breakage, and so on. And should it be /attr or /meta?
>>

>> For the mount point, it doesn't matter; it's up to the user. It's the
>> attrfs or metafs or ???fs that matters (but which will greatly influence
>> whether people user /attr or /meta).
>

> "meta" seems the more descriptive name. There should also probably be a
> somewhat standardized location for this, such that programs can locate it
> without much trouble. This mechanism would be usable from all FSs, and
> could be built into the VFS.

Maybe. I think it should be its own FS, mountable and unmountable, just
like /proc or /sys. It's a standardized location anyway, but easier to
admin that way.

But we definitely want to support multiple FSes. Even more reason to
make it a separate system, accessible as its own mountable FS.

> Also, it would allow one to access the meta
> data of meta data (if supported by the filesystem, and possibly only
> through the file descriptor lookup, due to numbering limitations.)

Or just use:

/meta/vfs/meta/$DEV_NUM/$INODE_NUM
/meta/vfs/meta/vfs/path/to/file/some/meta/file

Loop as many times as the FS supports -- if the FS doesn't like a
particular amount of looping, the file will simply not be there.