Re: [ANNOUNCE] ndevfs - a "nano" devfs

From: Mike Bell
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 20:13:15 EST

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 05:39:16PM -0700, David Lang wrote:
> worse yet, go way back in the archives and you will find that prior to
> being merged into the kernel devfs supported two nameing schemes, the one
> you see now and a compatability version that matched the standard /dev
> names. one requirement for allowing it to be merged was to remove the
> compatability set of names.

Yes, I vaguely remember. IIRC Linus was the one who mandated the use of
a directory based structure before devfs would be merged, though I think
the particular choice of names was not his fault.

Which is why I've asked people to seperate their distaste for the names
devfs uses from distaste for having a standard set of names.

Originally I was hoping that all those plans to move partition detection
into userspace using device-mapper would help eliminate people's
objections to devfs (AFAIK the devfs-style names hated most by far are
block devices, which are way too long), but it didn't work out that way.