Re: accessing loopback filesystem+partitions on a file

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 20:53:51 EST

okay - i should be clearer.

the thing that is missing, that only xen provides, is the presentation
of another block device as a hard drive.

e.g. /dev/volumegroup/volumename --> /dev/loopblocka
or /dev/loop0 -> /dev/loopblocka

such that it is possible to then subsequently do this:

fdisk /dev/loopblocka and
mkfs.ext2 /dev/loopblocka1
mount /dev/loopblocka1 -t ext2 /mnt/somewhere

you get the gist.

basically, the thing that is missing (or i can't find it)
from linux is a driver with the ability to present [any] block
devices with their major+minor numbers as a [fsck-]recogniseable
block device with its own major number, with the implicit
ability to create minor numbers within it.

lvm is in its own way a sort of mad-cap over-extended version
of the above, if you think about it carefully and can understand
the sentence.

l.